On 1st September, the school took over the running of the Refectory from an outside company that has run it for the last 9 years. The school felt that operating this in-house would lead to a number of benefits including:
- Increased student and staff input into the range of products offered
- Increase the take up of students using the Refectory
- Utilise local suppliers for the sourcing of provisions
- Ability to set our own pricing structure
- Expand provision of catering to include school and community activities on the site.
There is a choice of main meals and deserts which are available each day, along with a range of hot and cold food including jacket potatoes, pasta or rice dishes, assorted sandwiches and rolls, wraps, fruit and assorted drinks.
Initial feedback from students has been very positive to the change. The House Councillors at their latest meetings overwhelmingly approved the new arrangements, in particular the new pricing structure. We have seen a significant increase in the number of students using the Refectory and enjoying the range of food on offer.
We see this as the start of the process to provide an improved facility for all, and plan to involve student and staff representatives in the future development of Our Refectory.