Electronic mobile device policy for students
(Mobile phones, smart watches, tablets etc)
See it, hear it, lose it.
Why are mobile devices not permitted in school?
· To ensure that students are kept safe whilst in school.
· To ensure that students are 100% focused on their learning and making excellent progress without any distractions.
· To reduce the amount of time students spend on social media and smartphones, which has been proven to have a detrimental impact on mental health and well-being.
· To promote face to face communication and social interaction between the students.
· To stop the inappropriate use of mobile phones in school.
· To reduce instances of online bullying in school.
· During the school day mobile devices are not allowed to be used in the school building or on the school grounds. You may have your mobile device with you. However, it must not be seen or heard or it will be confiscated. We would, therefore, recommend that mobile devices are left at home but if a student chooses to bring them to school they must be turned off and in their bag from the moment they enter the school site, not carried on the student i.e. in coat/jacket pockets or in under garments.
· As mobile devices are not allowed during the school day, this means that both headphones and speakers will not be needed and therefore should not be worn/brought to school. We would, therefore, recommend these devices are left at home but if a student chooses to bring them to school they must be turned off and in their bag from the moment they enter the school site, not carried on the student i.e. in coat/jacket pockets or in under garments.
· If a mobile device is confiscated for the first time, it will be taken to the admin office. The student will be able to collect it at the end of the school day.
· If a student’s mobile device is confiscated for a second time, then the parent/carer will need to collect the device from the school at the end of the day on which it was confiscated.
· Subsequent confiscations will result in sanctions that are more significant and the mobile device being confiscated for a significantly longer period.
· Mobile devices must not be used to contact parents/carers during the school day; any student using their mobile device at school will have it confiscated. If a student needs to contact their parent/carer during the school day they should speak to a member of staff. If a parent/carer needs to make contact with their child during the school day they should contact reception and a message will be passed on to their child.